29 May 2008

Varilight: Handle with Care

Having written so glowingly about Varilight, I then went out and bought five. The first one that I tried to fit burst in my hand as I was pushing it into the light fitting.

Now maybe I am a big strong ham-fisted bloke (I am) who is naturally a little clumsy (I am), but this has never happened to me with a lightbulb of any description before. Maybe the Varilight isn’t quite as robust as you might hope for.

I looked at the packet, which says that the bulbs last 16,000 hours and gave a wry smile. I briefly worried about mercury contamination. Figuring life was short enough already, I then cleared up the mess and put another Varilight in its place, this time handling it a little more gingerly. Thus far, a week later, everything is working fine.

2 comments:

  1. The traditional bulb is very similar to an egg, which makes it very hard to break from screwing in, unlike the curly new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the bulbs are breaking a lot it would mean more pollution than the old bulbs produce

    ReplyDelete