29 May 2008

Varilight: Handle with Care

Having written so glowingly about Varilight, I then went out and bought five. The first one that I tried to fit burst in my hand as I was pushing it into the light fitting.

Now maybe I am a big strong ham-fisted bloke (I am) who is naturally a little clumsy (I am), but this has never happened to me with a lightbulb of any description before. Maybe the Varilight isn’t quite as robust as you might hope for.

I looked at the packet, which says that the bulbs last 16,000 hours and gave a wry smile. I briefly worried about mercury contamination. Figuring life was short enough already, I then cleared up the mess and put another Varilight in its place, this time handling it a little more gingerly. Thus far, a week later, everything is working fine.

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 13, 2008

    The traditional bulb is very similar to an egg, which makes it very hard to break from screwing in, unlike the curly new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 13, 2008

    I wonder if the bulbs are breaking a lot it would mean more pollution than the old bulbs produce

    ReplyDelete